Friday 30 November 2018

Unofficial BRKC Practice #1

Sunday 25th November


Wow. I have got a lot of work to do..

If I’m to come away with any kind of respectable result from the 2019 edition of the BRKC, then my recent trip to Formula Fast made it very clear that I still have a very long way to go in a very short amount of time. 

So let’s get the excuses out of the way shall we? Firstly I haven’t driven at Formula Fast since January 2017, nor would I claim to be all that familiar with the circuit’s Sodi karts, having spent most of the year driving Biz Karts at Castle Combe & TeamSport Bristol. Secondly the group I was in was made up of very quick drivers, all of whom had already had around 40 mins of track time before I even arrived. Finally, I’m still nowhere near my target ideal weight for January (and there weren’t many drivers running at the minimum 90kgs on this particular night). On top of that I had been hoping to try wearing contact lenses on track for the first time, but a delay at the opticians meant I couldn’t get my prescription in time. Bugger.

Anyway, as far as excuses go I think that covers a broad spectrum. Now, on to the negative stuff; I was just way too slow, both in terms of time taken to re-familiarise myself with karts/circuit and in terms of actual lap time. Now, I can come up with all the excuses I want but the cold hard fact of it is I wasn’t quick enough. My biggest disappointment was coming away from each session bottom of my group in terms of best lap times. Whilst I wasn’t the slowest driver in attendance, my failure to break into the 31’s was a bit of a downer (my best lap being a 32.021 in my final session) & I was left scratching my head as where another half a second could be found.. Advice is welcome! 

Positives? Well, over the four 10 minute sessions I managed to knock about 6/10ths off my best lap, having driven one of the karts twice so there is *some* improvement there..
Also, whilst BRKC ‘19 is now only seven weeks away I do plan on making another trip up to Milton Keynes just before Christmas so as to continue my quest for improvement. This will equate to the most ‘practice’ I’ve ever had for the championship & I’m so determined to come away from Formula Fast in January with my head held high. Combined with a diet/workout routine I’ve been working on for the last few weeks (and a bit of vision enhancement) I’m sure that things will start to come together to form a more overly positive picture..

Watch this space..

No comments:

Post a Comment